WELCOME

"Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Part I of my trip to the Windy City of Chicago

As I've said before my husband travels a lot with his job and on many occasions I go with him.  He was already in Kentucky for business and thought it would be nice for me to fly out and meet up with him in Chicago since neither of us had been, to celebrate his birthday and our upcoming anniversary.  We booked a room at the Hyatt Regency downtown right off the magnificent mile and overlooking the lake.  When we arrived at the hotel and were asked the occasion my husband explained birthday, and anniversary getaway.  They immediately sent up champagne, fruit and the most decadent strawberries and chocolate we have had, ( on the House!!)  wow.  These are the pics from our room that night. 

The next morning we awoke to this magnificent view

We wasted no time setting out to explore the city



 Ahh...my love for fleur de lis, and they were all over the architecture downtown

Christmas displays were going up all over town, I just love the big cities at Christmas





The Drake Hotel was putting up there Christmas right behind us

We then took a stroll down to the Lakefront

Not a soul in sight, and the weather was magnificent for this time of year

My favorite spot was an old church right on Michigan Avenue.  One of the most traveled roads downtown, but then you enter into what feels like a secret garden in the middle of the city.  It was just a simple courtyard of a church but it was so peaceful, and the noises around you just seem to dissipate when you stepped inside.  I just stood inside for a long time enjoying my serenity and the architecture of days gone bye.



My husband must have taken this picture when I was having a quiet moment inside







We were then off to an entirely different experience, the Hershey's Store



My husband deciding what deliciousness we will enjoy Hmm...
 he went with the smores

Another masterfully designed building downtown

The lionhead fountain was inside this gothic building

Next was Grant Park


We were sad to see that the fountain had already been drained for the winter, but the weather more than made up for it.


If you look really closely you can see my husband and I's reflection right in the middle

After heading back to the Hotel for a little R&R from walking all day we headed out for dinner at Gino's East.  Everyone we talked too said this was the place to go for the best Chicago pizza. 
It is know for its graffiti wall decor, but better known for its food.   


My gorgeous husband, who I'm so blessed to have


This is the bacon cheesburger deep dish pizza!  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little sick that night, but it was worth it for sure.

And then as if that is not enough we had to get the famous Garrett's popcorn

My husband wasn't convinced that it was the best caramel popcorn he had ever had, but I sure was and continued eating it for the next several days.

These were pictures taken on our walk back to the hotel



This is it for the night...
More pictures to come soon in Part II



No comments: